Jesus explained that the guidelines for worship would change when the church began. He reveled that we would worship in “spirit and truth” (John 4:19-24).
The “truth,” Jesus referred to, being the word of God (John 17:17). More specifically, the New Testament was what would govern the parameters of worship within the church (Col. 2:14, Heb. 8:13). The New Teatament prescribes five acts or avenues of worship.
1. The command is to sing and the instrument is the heart
2. We are commanded when we gather on the first day of the week to partake of the Lord’s Supper (Acts 20:7) as a memorial to the death of Jesus (1 Cor. 11:23-26).
3. We are commanded to pray (1 Thess. 5:17).
4. We are commanded to give (1 Cor. 16:1-2).
5. We are commanded to preach and teach
(2 Tim. 2:2, 4:2).